I’m still feeling like I’m on the Jetsons’ hamster wheel of a treadmill. Monday just thumped me on the head like an unwelcome… something or another. Let’s just say “ugh” and be done with it.
But I had a choice. I could sit at my desk and stew or go work out at the box. Wasn’t really much of a competition there.
Went in for an 8:30 class with Coach Drea and had Dave & KB join me. Our fun little trio tackled the warm-up first…
- 2 rounds
- 1 minute jump rope (single, single running, doubles, whatever)
- 15 kettlebell swings (first set to eye level, second set full) (light 35# swings)
- 15 hollow body rocks
- 45 second banded shoulder abstraction, each side (felt great on my lats)
From there we grabbed some light dumbbells and did some dumbbell clean & jerk warm-ups. I grabbed 25# dumbbells and by the end of the warm-up decided I wasn’t going to go up from there to 35# for the workout. I’m glad I didn’t. 🙂
And we did some strict work on the rig before discussing the workout itself:
- 15-12-9-6-3 reps for time of:
- Dumbbell hang clean and jerks
- Strict pull-ups
- 35/20# dumbbell (performance), 20/10# (fitness)
Strict pull-ups are not my jam. Even kipping pull-ups were a bit of a challenge today. But Drea asked me to try for strict pull-ups with an added weight belt for a few reps each round. I grabbed the belt, added a 15# plate, and did a couple during the warm-up — but wow they were not going to be fun.
So the workout was for time… and we were shooting for 15 minutes or less. HA!
- did the 25# DB clean & jerks each round (only had to drop in round of 12 with 6 + 6), but were slow and really ugly in later rounds
- round of 15 – 2 strict with weight, 3 regular strict, 10 kipping
- round of 12 – 1 strict with weight, 2 regular strict, 9 kipping
- round of 9 – maybe 3 strict, 6 kipping
- round of 6 – 6 kipping
- round of 3 – 3 kipping
- Final time: 14:11
I’m going to repeat – strict pull-ups are not my jam. 🙂 Those first two rounds seemed to take forever.
Meanwhile KB was doing awesome with banded strict pull-ups and Dave was banging out some strict pull-ups as well. They were kicking butt. Dave was right behind me (finished in under 15 I think) and KB was a bit ahead of me.
When we were done, there was time for some mobilizing. We were supposed to do two sets of 15 ring rows and I did two sets of 10 — hanging on was a challenge. Then a foam roller to the forearms was a requirement, and then some rolling with the lats as well.
Now it’s time to go back to work… Thank goodness for the endorphins. 🙂 And thanks Drea!