Made it for the 8:30 workout this morning with Coach Drea, Melissa S, Melissa, Emily, Rebecca, and Bri. We were ready to get “swole” on a Monday morning apparently. 🙂
We started with two rounds of:
- 1 minute of single-unders or double-under practice (no double-unders were harmed during my double-under practice in the second round)
- 30 second straight-arm plank hold
- 30 seconds of banded pull-aparts (green band)
- 30 seconds of hands-on-box shoulder stretch (like child’s pose, but arms are raised so your head can dip below parallel with the shoulders)
After that we moved to talk about push presses (empty barbell warm-up and then added weight to get to our starting weight). I warmed up with 95# and set up at 115# with the ability to strip off 20# when it got to be too much.
And then we moved to the rig… Strict pull-ups are not really my jam. I tend to do them with a grip like chin-ups rather than an over-hand pull-up grip. And weighted ones? Well, that’s definitely a challenge. But with the chain belt on, I tested with some 25# weighted pull-ups and then got ready for the performance weights (30/20/10#)…
The workout itself was simple:
- 5 minute AMRAP
- 3 minute rounds with 2 minute rest
- 20 push presses (115/5#)
- and max effort weighted pull-ups (30/20/10# weighted, then strict, then kipping or 15/10/5# weighted, then strict, then kipping)
- 20 push presses (95/65#)
- max-rep jumping pull-ups
So my workout went something like this:
- Round 1 – 20 push presses @ 115#, 6 strict chin-up style pull-ups with 30# weight (one at a time) (push press I did 17 in a row, then dropped, then did last 3 – that was probably a poor choice)
- Round 2 – 20 x 115#, 5 strict pull-ups with 20# weight (left forearm was blowing up at this point and causing all sorts of entertaining problems) (did 10 push-presses in a row, then 5, then 3, then 2)
- Round 3 – stripped off 20# and moved to 20 x 95#, did 6 weighted strict pull-ups at 10# (one at a time) – (same rep scheme as round 2 for push press)
- Round 4 – 20 x 95#, 8 strict pull-ups one at a time
- Round 5 – 20 x 95#, 15 kipping pull-ups
- Total pull-ups: 40
We’ll see if I can move my left arm tomorrow. 🙂 But I was happy I was pretty consistent round to round. That’s the most weighted pull-ups I’ve ever done I think.
Not bad for a Monday! Thanks Drea and good work 8:30 class!