First day of the week and an odd week at that, but I did make it in for the 8:30 class this morning with Coach Drea. We had a fun crew – Ashley, Melissa & Todd, Dave, and Logan (and the 9:30 crew was fun as well, with Nick & Lisa, Andrew, and a mess of other folks).
We started the day by tackling the new warm-up from Coach Nicole, which proved interesting since most of us were sore from 18.2 over the weekend…
- 30 second active squat hold (pushing out knees with elbows) – could barely get into a squat when we started
- 10 pistol chairs at the rig
- 10 Jefferson curls with a dumbbell 10x (used 25# dumbbell)
- 10 straddle compressions (split legs, lean over a leg with torso, sit up, switch to other leg)
- 30 second Superman hold
- 10 forward table holds (I was only able to put hands behind and move forward to stretch elbows and shoulders)
- 30 second hollow body hold
- 10 scap push-ups
- 30 seconds of kip swings
- 10 pvc passthrus
Then we did some additional work:
- 10 pull-downs with a banded PVC pipe on the rig, while in a hollow body hold
- 15 walking lunges with a PVC pipe in an overhead squat position
- walk across room in a waiter carry of a dumbbell (25#), alternating arms
- (We did all of this 2x)
But after that it was a bit of back squat refresher with an empty barbell and then we were off to the races for our 5×3 WOD. She gave us the option that if our bodies were feeling a bit rough today to go with a single weight for the whole workout and focus on good reps. I did that. 🙂
I warmed up with 135# and 185# and decided very quickly that 225# sounded like a solid weight to work with for my 5x3s. It’s about 10# over my body weight these days, so it wasn’t exactly light. My 1RM from last year was 315#, so 225# is about 71% of 315#.
And I was glad I stayed there. One of every three reps each round, I felt like I was going to my toes. My hips were really tight for no good reason today.
But we made it through. And then we did our strict pull-ups and ring dips… Made it through 11 strict ring dips and 4 strict pull-ups. Most ring dips since we started and about average on pull-ups. Just not getting very strong in that direction.
Great work today everybody! Good start to the week!
I hope to get in a workout at home tomorrow and then be back in for Wednesday night, Thursday morning, and Friday night for 18.3. We’ll see how it goes. 🙂