The last few days were crazy, so I need to spend some time catching up on these posts. Let’s talk about Saturday first and then I’ll add another post about today’s later.
Saturday was a blur, but it began with a team workout at CrossFit Continuum. We had a great turnout — probably 15 or more people. I wasn’t counting heads, but Ev, AJ, and I wandered in to find Larry & Clare setting up and we had a bunch of folks drop in in 2s or 3s over time.
We started with a bit of tag. Larry had us chasing after one another with an ab mat held like a pizza box. Knock it off and pay the price, until there is only one person standing. We did burpees. We might have done something else as well. It was fun.
Once we were warmed up, we paired up for the workout. Marino was kind enough to be my partner for the day and Ev & AJ paired up.
- Team WOD for time with a partner:
- 800m Farmers Carry 53/35#
- 100 Bar Only Back Squats/Plank Hold
- 90 Pull Ups/Superman Hold
- 80 Sit-ups/Wall Sit Hold
- 70 Burpees/Hang Hold
- 60 Hand-Release Push Ups/ Handstand Hold
- 50 Box Jumps 24/20″ box/V Hold
- 40 Buddy Deadlifts 220/155#
- 400m Farmers Carry 53/35#
- Each partner carries two kettle bells for Farmers carry if we have enough. Every time partner breaks on a movement, switch positions and continue.
Larry changed it a bit — making the air squats into back squats — but the rest was pretty much as Jordy’s Goodbye was written.
After tearing both my hands last Thursday doing the bar muscle-up transitions, I was a little concerned about some of the movements. Farmer’s Carry and pull-ups? Ouch.
So we started off slow and we think fried ourselves doing the 800m Farmer’s Carry (Marino and I were talking about it later with Larry.) But we did:
- 800m Farmer’s Carry – Marino had 45# kettle bells and I had one 55# kettle bell I passed hand to hand. We went to the 200m mark, not the 400m one or the longer 800m route. And we stopped quite a bit at the 50m mark.
- We knocked out four sets each of 45# back squats pretty quickly while doing the plank hold
- Pull-ups were rough. I did 5 pull-ups and the rest ring-rows. Marino chugged through the pull-ups and we did them 5-10 at a time. Superman Holds were interesting
- Sit-ups were easy for me, but the wall sit hold was tougher than it should have been. I was starting to feel that in my core pretty quickly.
- The burpees were AWFUL — and the hang hold on the rig I seriously thought I was going to pass out a couple of times. Breathing was a big problem during that round
- Push-ups weren’t bad. I held a squat and Marino did a handstand on the wall while we got through them. I was just running out of hands and forearms by that point.
- And we got about 30 20″ step-ups into the 50 box jumps before we hit a 45 minute hard stop Marino suggested. I was good with it. 🙂
Seriously the holds in this one were the killer part. Somehow I didn’t manage to tear my hands again, but that was a big concern the whole time.
(Pictures courtesy of Larry Hinkin — thanks Larry!)
We got done, headed home, and then drove to soccer in Denver. So I’m sure sitting the rest of the day did me zero favors. 🙂
Thanks Marino for being my partner — we didn’t finish but we kept on chugging!
Great work everybody!