So there’s a classic Marvel comics character — the Human Torch. And when he wants to engage his powers he always yells “Flame on!”
Well, today out of the gate I went faster than I should have. As a result, it was a “Flame out!” situation and I was ready to quit. More about that later.
At any rate, it was a normal Tuesday morning. Headed in for an 8:30 workout with Coach Lara and was joined by Dave & Andrew.
We started with 2 rounds of this lovely warm-up:
- 30 seconds of high knees
- 30 seconds of butt kickers
- 30 seconds of jumping jacks
- 30 seconds of squat jumps
- 10 knee hugs to single-leg deadlift (touch the floor)
- 25 foot LATERAL bear crawl (yeah, sideways) – more of a crab scuttle
- 10 glute bridges with a hold at the top
- 10 banded high pulls (SDHP but with a stretchy band)
- 10 windmills
From there we warmed up our sumo deadlift high pulls, added some weight, talked about the workout, and were out the door.
- 3 rounds for time
- 400m run
- 21 sumo deadlift high pulls (75/55# for competitor/performance, or 45/35# for fitness — reps drop to 12 for fitness as well)
- 12 bar-over-burpees (competitor/performance) or 6 bar-over-burpees (fitness)
Um, yeah. We were shooting for 10-15 minutes as far as time goes. And I went out like my ass was on fire for the first round. Two sets of SDHPs — 11 and 10 — and then 12 burpees in a row. Finished in 4:09, then walked outside to realize I couldn’t slow my breathing.
I walked that entire 2nd round and worked very hard to convince myself to continue. It was one long hostage negotiation. And by the time I walked back in the door to the box, I was resigned to the fact that I needed to finish.
In the past, I would have just quit. Walked in, grabbed my stuff, and headed to the car. But today I was able to get myself out of the hole as I slowly got back to breathing again.
By the last round, I walked the first 200m and ran the last 200m, then did smaller sets of everything and stepped over the bar rather than jumping. But I finished, and that’s what mattered.
My time? 17:56. Most folks finished in that 10-16 minute time frame. I died after that first 4 minutes.
This was not my favorite workout of all time, obviously. It involved running and burpees. But I finished, so that’s what matters.
Great work to Andrew and Dave, who were both done well before I was. And thanks Lara for the positivity!