After a couple of days of R&R to end one year and begin the next, it was time to get back into the gym to get things back in motion. And, thanks to a few more days of winter break, the whole family was able to get into the box for a workout. We weren’t alone either — was a full house.
Coach Drea had the four Fitz’s, plus Matt & Abigail, Maria, Brent, Carrie, and Kierstie. I don’t think I’ve worked out with Kierstie since maybe last year’s Open, so it was good to see her at a later class, plus see all the other faces today. (The odds of me getting to a 5am class are slim and none. 🙂 )
We started with a new warm-up from Coach Nicole. Apparently we’re going to do a lot of medicine ball work during the warm-up this week.
- med ball deadlift x10
- med ball deadlift + shrug x10
- med ball front squat x10
- med ball shrug/pull-under (a clean without starting from the floor) x10
- med ball cleans
- couch stretch, 45 seconds each side
- 10 figure 4 single leg squats (5 each side)
- 10 active/passive pulls on the pull-up bar
- 10 kip swings
- 10 “scoop and dump” backwards passes (with a weight or without)
- 10 weighted PVC passthrus
With all that under our belts, it was time to talk about bar muscle-up progressions… I’ve done them on the lower bar, with a jumping variety, but today we did some skill work where we were between a bench and a box, with a banded PVC pipe, trying to thrust our hips and pull down with the pipe all at the same time.
We also did some snatch progressions, first with an empty barbell and then adding some weight. Apparently we were supposed to shoot for 12 unbroken power snatches each round of the workout, so I have to say I fell on the lighter side today with 75# instead of 95#. And I’m glad I did.
The workout was:
- 3 rounds for time
- run 400m
- power snatch x12, 95/65# (performance), 65/45# (fitness)
- 3 bar muscle-ups (performance), or 6 ring rows & 6 push-ups (fitness)
My scaled workout looked like:
- 3 rounds
- run/walk 400m
- 12x power snatches @ 75#
- 3 bar muscle-up progressions on a low bar
So how’d it go? Well…
- ran 400m
- 12 unbroken power snatches @75#
- 3 attempts at bar muscle-ups
- ran 300m/walked 100m
- two sets of 6 and 6 power snatches
- 3 attempts
- ran 200m/walked 200m
- 12 unbroken power snatches
- 3 attempts
- Time– 14:31
The “low bar” was maybe 3-6″ higher than I’ve attempted those before. And I couldn’t quite get myself over them. Solid contact with the bar, but no push over today. But good attempts nonetheless.
I’ll take it. I was moving the whole time.
Great work 8:30 class! Lots of smiling faces! Happy 2018! Have a great day!