Time for a team workout today! This was workout #5 for me for the week, so it was going to be a slow one — or so I thought. Saturdays are always fun, but I love it when I get messages from my partner essentially saying this is gonna be rough before I even get a look at it. 🙂
So, with a bit of trepidation, we made it in for the workout. Ev partnered with Robert and I partnered with Jonathan and we figured we’d work through things a little at a time.
Started with a warm-up led by Coaches Drea and Jimmy. Same warm-up as we’ve been doing all week. And we followed that up with some running drills to get us warmed up. We had a good turnout this morning with Dan & Monica, Jonathan, Robert, Lara, Marino & Deana, Brent, Larry, Isaac, and a few others I think. Fun crowd.
The workout was aptly named today — Mercy Me. It was one of those “for time” workouts where you just try to finish as best you can.
- 2 person team
- Row 2000 M or run 1 mile
- 75 Bar facing burpees
- ***75 Partner front squats w/Barbell #135/#95
- 75 Situps
- 75 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls #135/#95
- Row 2000 M or run 1 mile
- Row and Run can be broken up in any variety between the 2 teammates
- ***Both Teammates must hold barbell together on Front squat
This was rough in a few spots. Jonathan and I scaled a bit — dropped to 95# for the partner front squats and 75# for the SDHP — but the rest we kept as written.
So how’d it go? Considering that Jonathan and I were more than a little sore when we started (it was his 6th workout of the week and my 5th), it was likely to be rough in places.
- Jonathan started with an 800m run and I was set to row when a rower opened up, but it never did — so I also ran an 800m (which Jonathan said was about 4:15 — if that’s true, it’s one of my fastest ever)
- Bar-facing burpees became bar-over burpees, so we went back and forth doing 10 at a time. I’m better at this type of burpees than others because I don’t have to stand all the way up. It went fairly quickly. 🙂
- Partner front squats at 95# were a challenge more for the bar than the weight. We got through the first 20 (10 reps on one shoulder, then switch and do 10 on the other) and then I started running into problems with the barbell digging into whichever shoulder it happened to be. We did 10 and eventually Jonathan suggested wrapping the bar in a yoga mat — that helped. We did get slower and slower towards the end however due to yours truly.
- We then did the SDHPs instead of the sit-ups (just got out of order a bit). We did sets of 10 for the most part, but I think Jonathan did at least one set of 15. 75# wasn’t bad.
- Sit-ups went quickly. I did 25, he did 25, then I did 15 and he did 10.
- And then we were back to the row or run. I rowed 500m and it was awful. Shoulders and forearms were ticked off. Jonathan ran 800m and then I chose to run a 400m (walked some).
- We finished in 40:12.
I have to say that a few hours later, I’m still feeling this workout. 🙂 Told Jimmy it was an evil workout with a capital E. 😉
But we did ok. And I’m thrilled about the 800m. Fastest ever I think. That said, I think it’s good tomorrow will be a rest day. 🙂
Great work everybody!