Surprisingly, today was a day off. Ev had it off and I took it off so we could hang out together. And how should it start but with some crossfit? 🙂
We went to the 8:30 class with Coach Drea… Bri, Melissa, Dave, KB, Maria, and a new person joined us. And since it was snowing outside, we were happy there was no running in the warm-up. 🙂
The warm-up was 2 rounds of:
- 5 windmills
- 10 kettlebell deadlifts (started with 20# and moved to 35#)
- 10 Russian kettlebell swings
- 10 goblet squats
- 10 American kettlebell swings
- 10 forward arm raises with a dumbbell (used 10#)
- 10 side arm raises (only used 10# dumbbells for first round and then went without)
- 10 chicken wing arm raises (10# dumbbell)
We were also supposed to do a crab walk, but she was nice and didn’t have us do it. 🙂
When that was done we warmed up a few kettlebell swings, talked about handstand push-up variants, and worked through some ring muscle-up progressions. I only felt like I was holding my own on the KBS during the workout – I fell apart on the HSPUs and by the end my MU progressions on the rings were crap. 🙂 So, sorry Nate — this has never been my workout.
Nate is a hero WOD named for Chief Petty Officer Nate Hardy who was killed during combat operations in Iraq back in 2008.
- Score type: Rounds & Reps
- 2 muscle-ups
- 4 HSPUs
- 8 kettlebell swings (70/53#)
- 2 assisted muscle-ups
- 4 HSPU progressions of some variety
- 8 kettlebell swings (53/35#)
So how’d it go? I kind of hinted earlier… not the greatest.
- Muscle-up progressions – I did two of these while on the balls of my feet and nearly parallel to the floor, pulling through and pushing myself up at the top
- HSPUs – with an abmat planted on a 15# plate, I varied these a bit… tried to do as many kipping HSPUs as I could, mixing in the occasional strict HSPU — and when all of that fell apart after 4 or 5 rounds, I dropped to pike push-ups
- Kettlebell swings – I used a 53# kettlebell and managed these unbroken for the most part
- Rounds & Reps: 8 + 6 — made it to the KBS in round 9 but didn’t have enough time to get one in
Did I have fun? Yes. Did I knock this workout out of the park? Definitely not. But that’s ok. There’s always tomorrow!
Great work 8:30 class (and 9:30 with Bill)! Thanks Drea!