Today was a weird day of crossfit that started with a very rough night of sleep (or a lack thereof). Not sure what that boils down to, but it made for a rough workout.
Arrived with the whole clan for a change (Spring Break FTW) but we were far from alone. Coach Bill had a full house today. Dave, KB, Katie C, Katie E, Jonathan, Bri, Connie, and Todd joined us for a full class of 12 peeps. Made logistics a bit entertaining.
We started with a warm-up that was supposed to be 2 rounds of:
- 1 minute row
- 30 seconds jumping jacks
- 30 seconds goblet squats
But ended up being (for me and a few others):
- 1 minute single-unders
- 30 seconds jumping jacks
- 30 second goblet squats (I used a 45# kettlebell)
And then we did a mess of box jump and front squat warm-ups before dividing up into pairs so that one group could start and the other would go while they were resting.
- Five 3-minute rounds of:
- 10 front squats
- 10 box jumps
- Row for max calories (count your calories for your metcon total)
- Rest 3 minutes between rounds.
- Performance: Men, 135# squats and 30″ box; Women 95# squats and 24″ box
- Fitness: (Drop to 4 rounds) Men, 75# squat, 20″ box; Women 55# squat, 16″ box
Now, during warm-up I did 24″ box jumps, so I know I can do them. But I had a feeling with the way my hamstrings were acting that front squats + box jumps would be a bit rough, so I lowered it to 20″. And even that turned out to be too much.
- Round 1: 10x 135# front squats, 10x 20″ box jumps, 29 calories
- Round 2: 10x 135# front squats, 10x 20″ step-ups, 22 calories
- Round 3: 5x 135# front squats and couldn’t convince my knees to do the job, so rowed 90 seconds (24 calories)
- Round 4: Bill had me switch to 1 minute assault bike, 1 minute break, 1 minute calorie row (17 calories)
- Round 5: same as round 4, 20 calories
- Total calories: 112 (average 22.4 per round)
What happened? Round 1 I missed a box jump and that threw me a bit off. Round 2 my left knee really started giving me trouble. Round 3 that knee got very cranky and I knew if I didn’t trust it on front squats that I wasn’t going to trust it on box jumps.
Meanwhile, everybody else was bouncing right along. Jonathan finished 107 total calories, averaging a bit better than 20 calories a round while doing actual 30″ box jumps. Todd was flying right along too.
I just didn’t trust my body after that first box jump miss and as the knee got crankier and crankier I knew I should just cool my jets.
Quick note: I still hate the assault bike. I did the round 4 minute ok, but my round 5 minute was all over the place. I much prefer rowing.
In the spectrum of DFL > DNF > DNS I think DNQ (Did Not Quit) or FBS (Finished But Scaled) need to fit in somewhere… I didn’t exactly quit, but I stopped the workout we were doing and adapted it per my coach’s suggestions to keep moving. And I swore like a sailor a good portion of those last 4 rounds.
Just not my day. Good work folks. 🙂