Yesterday was a doozy of a workout, so I was happy to see that today’s was a strength day! Huzzah! Made it in for the 9:30 workout with Coach Lara, Caleb, Nick, and Janiece, as the 8:30 class was heading out. We had a fun little group. 🙂
We started with little warm-up:
- 500m row
- 10 PVC Passthroughs
- 10 Inchworms
- 10 Windmills
- 10 Seated Forward Tables
And we bounced from there to some skill refresher on the strict press (or shoulder press), push press, and push jerk, with an empty barbell. From there we each found a rack, warmed up to our starting weight for strict press, and got going.
So how did it go?
- Strict Press
- 75# x3 (warm-up)
- 95# x3 (warm-up)
- 160# (fail)
- (old one rep: 155#)
- Push Press
- 95# (warm-up)
- 135# (warm-up)
- 185# (fail)
- 180# (fail)
- Push Jerk
- 135# (warm-up)
- 175# (fail)
- 165# (fail)
So my heaviest overhead movement was a 175# push press, followed by a 165# push jerk, and a 145# strict press. My old 1RMs (which still stand) are: 195# push press, 185# push jerk, 155# strict press.
As I told Lara, I didn’t really care about the weight too much. But she said my form was pretty good, so that made me happy. And I moved some weight and had fun. What more could I ask for?
Meanwhile, Nick, Caleb, and Janiece all had some nice lifts too. 🙂 Great work everybody! And thanks Lara for the encouragement!
Post-workout Nutrition Check-in
So it’s been a month since I started back with some nutrition coaching with Drea and time to check in and get measured. My measurements didn’t move much, largely because I was incredibly uneven across the month of October. To say that we have been crazy in the last 4-6 weeks would be an understatement.
- 2-OCT-2018 – 220.4#, 22.1% Body Fat
- 6-NOV-2018 – 221.8#, 22.3% Body Fat
We had a long chat about a number of topics, but I ended up with some goals to work on:
- Get some help with meal prep from the girls. Ask each to prepare one item each week (roast veggies, crock pot or insta-pot something, chop something, etc).
- Commit to making breakfast for myself every day after I feed the dogs at 6am.
- Commit to writing in my journal every night at bedtime to help wind down.
- Pick 1 meal from the meal plan to duplicate during the week.
And I’m still tracking “points” for myself:
- 1 point for a workout or yoga class
- 1 point for double-under practice
- 1 point for using the crossover symmetry bands
- 1 point for a “good” meal (no bread/tortilla, more veggies, more protein, etc.)
- (new) 1 point for checking in with Drea (once a month)
- (new) 1 point for any sort of meal prep
Today for example, before dinner, I have 5 points (breakfast, lunch, workout, meet with Drea, and insta-pot chicken for shredding). Compare that to this past Saturday night where I ate like crap, hardly moved (we drove 250 miles), and I had quite a bit of wine and champagne to drink. That scored me a big fat zero. 🙂
Most days have been in the 2-4 point range, with a few 1s in there too. I’ve been pretty uneven. We’ll see if I can do better in the next 30 days. Like all of life, it’s a work in progress.
Thanks Drea for helping get me back on track and the good chat!