Ah yes, I always know I’ve pushed myself in a workout when I have the “CrossFit cough” at the end. Today was definitely one of those days.
I meant to go in for a workout last night, but my car had other plans. Dead battery. Today however I went in with Ev & AJ for the 8:30 class. Coach Drea had a bunch of us – the three of us, Todd, KB, Jonathan & Sarah, Karen, and another gal whose name I didn’t catch today.
We started with the warm-up from yesterday (that I missed):
- 1:30 foam roll quads (I used a lacrosse ball on my quads)
- 1:30 foam roll calves (more time with the lacrosse ball)
- 100 single unders
- 10 pvc passthroughs
- 10 overhead squats
- 3 Turkish get-ups, each arm (supposed to use a light dumbbell, but I opted to go without today – that said, they felt ok)
From there we talked about today’s workout, which was another one from this year’s Regionals competition.
- 2018 Regionals Event 5
Score Type:: Total Time (17 minute time cap)
- 35 handstand push-ups
- 35 toes-to-bars
- 50-cal. bike
- 35 dumbbell box step-overs
- 50-ft. right-arm dumbbell overhead lunge
- 50-ft. left-arm dumbbell overhead lunge
- Men: 50-lb. dumbbells, 20-in. box
- Women: 35-lb. dumbbells, 20-in. box
- 30 knee push-ups
- 30 sit-ups
- 30-cal. bike
- 30 box step-overs
- 100-ft. walking lunge
We watched this event a few times over the course of the Regionals this year and cringed every time it came on. The mix of assault bike, bar work, handstand work, and dumbbell work looked brutal. Today, I quickly decided to scale a few things:
- 35 handstand push-ups (I did strict to two abmats)
- 35 knees to elbows/hanging knee raises
- 50 calories on the assault bike
- 35 dumbbell box step-overs quickly became just box step-overs
- 50 foot right-arm dumbbell overhead lunge (20# dumbbells)
- 50 foot left-arm dumbbell overhead lunge (20# dumbbells)
My big stumble areas were with the assault bike and the box step-overs. I broke the 50 calories into 5 sets of 10 calories, which took a while. And I just couldn’t figure out how to convince my torso not to completely fold over with dumbbells on my shoulders – I did two reps, took a break, and then did one more before dropping the weights all together. If I had continued with the weights I was worried I might still be there 5 minutes later.
And I made it about 35 feet with my right arm in the air and my left arm in a front rack with the other dumbbell — then time ran out. So I didn’t quite finish this one, even scaled.
We got done and breathing was a challenge. That CrossFit cough? Yeah, that was there and it was exacerbated by the fact that I think my allergies (even on antihistamines) are cranked up to 11 today. But we’ll get over it. 🙂
Everybody really did well today – I think Todd was the only one in our group who finished under the time cap. AJ finished a bit over the time cap and did awesome. Everyone else was somewhere in-between.
Definitely a challenging workout! Thanks Drea!
And it was awesome to see Jonathan AND Sarah with the twins and Aaron today. Great work everybody!!