Yes, I’ll explain the title of this post eventually. 🙂
Today was a rare occurrence. The entire Fitzpatrick clan made it into CrossFit Continuum for a workout– gasp! We were joined by Todd & Melissa, Caleb & Andy, Elyse, and Brent. Coach Drea had her hands full. 🙂
We started with 3 minutes on the rower or the bike and some mobility, then moved to three rounds of:
- 10 PVC pass-throughs
- 10 PVC overhead squats (pizza box style)
- 15 second handstand hold on the wall
Then the double-under flogging began. We did a lot of practice. I didn’t get a single double-under in practice. But I did a lot of flogging. 🙂
From there we grabbed empty barbells and went through a good number of overhead squats for practice. Added some weight and I did 75# and 95# OHS to warm-up. I’m glad I can’t do double-unders because I think 135# might have killed me for OHS.
The workout was interesting we had 7 minutes to get as many rounds and reps as possible of:
- 50 double-unders (or 30 single-unders plus double-under practice)
- 10 overhead squats (135/95# Rx, 95/65# L2, 55/35# L1)
Essentially we did a couple of double-under practice jumps, 30 single-unders, and then the overhead squats.
I’m happy to say (and surprised) that I actually achieved three actual double-unders during that part of the workout. I still need to swap out the slightly longer cable I have for my jump rope, but I was happy with that today.
As far as the OHS… I can say that I did them. But here’s where the sleepy shoulders come in.
I actually had my right shoulder and arm go to sleep during the middle of the second round and all of the third round. It was a challenge to keep it locked out. And afterwards it was definitely tingly all the way down to the hand and took a bit to get circulation going again.
But still… I survived and apparently I wasn’t far off of the majority of folks. Drea wanted us to push for 7 rounds. I got half that:
- I got 3 rounds + 30 reps with 95# overhead squats, double-under practice, and 30 single-unders (plus 3 doubles! woot!)
- Ev got 3 plus 32 with 65# OHS the first round and 55# the next three, plus dbl under practice and 30+ singles
- Mickey got 6 rounds of 15# OHS plus 30 singles. It was a good test for her ankle.
- And AJ got 5 plus 39 with 15# OHS, double-under practice and 30 singles
I had little Andy behind me and he did awesome with his PVC pipe OHS and a ton of single-unders.
So all in all I think it was a success. 🙂
Next up… I’m looking forward to team workout on Saturday. Woot!