After taking a couple of days off earlier this week, I had two meetings I couldn’t escape this morning at work… so I had to wait for a Noon class to attend. Arrived in time to chat a bit with Coach Bill and then Coach Jimmy arrived to lead us. Kirsten and I were as ready as we were going to be I think. 🙂
We started with a 3 round warm-up:
- 250m row
- 10 ring rows
- 10 wall balls (20/14#)
Once that was done, we did some shoulder mobility work with a band before working with an empty barbell:
- 5 strict press
- 5 Sumo-deadlift high pulls (ish — just the standing part)
- 5 push press
And from there we added weight and got ready for the workout.
- For time:
- 15 push presses
- 5 rope ascents
- 12 push presses
- 4 rope ascents
- 9 push presses
- 3 rope ascents
- 6 push presses
- 2 rope ascents
- 3 push presses
- 1 rope ascent
- (Use ¾ body weight for push presses)
This was a doozy. Especially after Tuesday’s shoulder press-palooza.
When I went in, I had every intention of trying 175# (which is 3/4 of my current bodyweight), but you know what they say about roads and good intentions…
- Started with 135# off the bat, did 3 warm-ups
- Then did 3 with 155# on the bar.
- I felt like that sucked, so I should add more – but I fought the urge and decided to stay there.
So when the clock started, here’s how it went:
- 8 push press reps @ 155#, 7 reps @ 135#
- 5 rope climbs from floor
- 12 push press reps @ 135#
- 4 rope climbs from floor
- 9 push press reps @ 135# (by this point my left arm was struggling to straighten out)
- 3 rope climbs from the floor
- 6 push press reps @ 135# (ugly ones)
- 2 rope climbs from the floor
- 3 push press reps @ 135# (even more ugly)
- 1 rope climb from the floor
- Time: 16:14
Meanwhile, Kirsten was flying through the workout with a lighter weight on the bar but real rope climbs and finished in less than 9 minutes I think.
This was ugly. I got to the point a couple of times where I couldn’t hold the bar in a front rack when I cleaned it from the floor — simply because my left arm wasn’t holding close enough to make it work. A lot of it I think had to do with hand position on the bar. Too far in or out and I chicken winged to the point where it wasn’t strong enough.
But once again… I finished. It was ugly. And I think some of the reps probably shouldn’t have counted. But I finished.