With last Saturday signalling the end of the Fall 2016 soccer season for both my daughters, that means we can start coming to team workouts at CrossFit Continuum again and maybe staying a bit more on track with at least one more workout each week… Though I may start going on Wednesdays if things work out and my body recovers a bit better…
So today I managed to get in at 10am for the team WOD with AJ. Ev had to work and Mickey was recovering from another late night of doing the HS drama production. So it was just the two of us.
We arrived to find Clare & Larry setting things up and found Brent & Megan (Clare’s friend) warming up a bit. Over the next 20 minutes, we saw Carrie and her kids, Jenny, Nancy & Isaac, Caleb & two of his boys, Dan & Monica & Ava, and a couple of other folks whose names I haven’t caught yet. Not a huge crowd, but enough. 🙂
We started with a 400m jog and then got started setting up. This workout was going to be a doozy… Teams of 3, so that was good.
We’d start with a 3 minute AMRAP:
- back squats (155/105#)
The catch: the bar can’t hit the ground during the 3 minutes. So two of the team members must become the rack while transitioning someone else to do a few squats.
Then we had a 4 minute rest before starting 3 rounds for time:
- 100 DUs (200 singles)
- 75 Pull-ups
- 50 Burpees
- 25 T2B
- 50 Thrusters (95/65#)
- 75 Box Jumps (24/20″)
- 100 meters Sandbag Run (70/50)-all teammates must run
AJ worked with Monica & Megan. They used an 85# bar for their back squats and an empty 45# bar for their thrusters, plus a 25# kettle bell for their run. Took them about 50 minutes.
I worked with Larry & Caleb and did ok for a while, but started having issues when my left shoulder & bicep started giving me grief. Here’s how it shook out…
- 155# back squats – we got through 50 reps (20 each Larry & Caleb & 10 for me – just ran out of time)
- 66 single jumps each
- 25 pull-ups each (I had to shift to jumping pull-ups and then ring rows)
- 5-10 knees to elbows or toes to bar (Larry made them look easy)
- 5 thrusters each (until I hit the last round and couldn’t push the bar over my head, so I did front squats)
- alternating step-ups to a 24″ box – I did ok for 2 rounds and then had to take breaks in the third
- we used a 70# kettle bell for the sandbag run – we jogged the first one and walked the next two pretty quickly
Took us a bit more than 53 minutes to be done.
And I am now fried for a while. I am thankful for Larry & Caleb picking up my slack in a couple of places where I simply ran out of grip or shoulder or bicep or whatever it was. And I’m thankful Caleb was able to put my left shoulder back into place when we were done.
Team workouts are all about sharing the suck. I never stopped completely, but I had to find ways to work through the pain and convince my brain that the body could continue. It was definitely a mental battle, especially with as long a workout as that was.
Great work, everybody! That was a rough one!
I think it’s nap time now. 🙂