So lately I’ve been taking a pretty regular list of supplements to help with… energy, sleep, and everything in-between. I never gave it much thought but last week started wondering what’s in some of these things, so I started to look.
Turns out I’m taking a lot of stuff. And it’s an interesting mix, to say the least. These are the usual suspects:
- Vitamin C (2 tablets a day, 1000mg each)
- Vitamin D3 (2 tablets a day, 1000iu each)
- Glucosamine HCl with MSM (2 tablets a day, 1500mg Glucosamine & 1500 mg MSM)
- Psyllium (1 or 2 tablets a day, 500mg fiber each)
- Nature’s Way Alive! Once Daily Men’s Ultra Potency (1 tablet a day) (Nature’s Way)
- Fish Oil (5 capsules a day, 1000mg each)
Plus I add:
- 24-hour Allegra (1 tablet a day)
- 1 baby aspirin (1 75 mg tablet a day for heart health)
- my thyroid med once a day
I’ve been playing with these for sleep (not all at once – at most one of them a day):
- Doc Parsley’s Sleep Cocktail (L-tryptophan, 5HTP, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, and a very small dose of melatonin) (Doc Parsley)
- Natural Vitality – Natural Calm (Magnesium 235 mg) (Natural Calm)
- NutraOne SleepOne (3 capsules) (Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin B-6, GABA, L-Carnitine L-Tartrate, ZMA, Coleus Forskohili, Guggul Lipid Extract, Phenibut, Valerian Root, Melatonin) (SleepOne)
And I’ve been adding these into the mix:
I’m coming to the conclusion that I don’t know what half of this stuff is doing to my body.
The products like SleepOne and BurnOne have proprietary mixes so there are a lot of unknowns. You don’t know how much of those ingredients (though they’re listed on the bottle) are actually in the pills you’re taking. And then for the ones that you DO know – like Testacore or even the Alive! Once Daily vitamin – you don’t know what all the ingredients do for or to you regardless of actually seeing how much is in the pill itself.
Here’s what I’m thinking these days:
- None of the sleep remedies have done a damn thing for me, so I’m probably just going to stop on that front.
- The fat burner (BurnOne) and testosterone supplement (Testacore) haven’t done diddly either. So I’m going to drop those.
- I have noticed a difference in my endurance during workouts on the Biotune and multivitamin, so I’m going to stay on those horses. I stopped taking a vitamin until a few months ago and do think that has made a difference health-wise. I’m not getting/staying sick as often.
- My knees and other joints still pop and complain even with the glucosamine, so I’m very tempted to stop with that.
- Fish oil is supposed to be good for many things, so I’ll stay on that as well.
I went from not wanting to take anything to taking this insane number of things. It’s time to pare down again and swing the pendulum back the other way.
What do you all take? If I was to boil this down to something minimal that supplemented my diet and exercise, what would you recommend?
I’m open to suggestions.