It’s soccer season, which means free Saturday mornings are going to be hard to come by for a while. So the fact that the whole Fitzy clan had a morning together was not something to take lightly. After a quick errand we made it in for the 10am team workout.
(This post went up late because we had a great time at a family gathering today for my Mom’s 70th birthday party. 🙂 )
The advanced class was finishing up and I have to say it didn’t look like much fun. Isaac and the rest of the folks were pushing really hard. 🙂
Coach Bill got us started with a 400m jog and then we did the PVC pipe game in two circles. We actually had quite a good crowd – quite a group of folks, including some new faces. I think we maybe had a max turn of 4 “left” or “right” turns. And somehow Bill tagged me to bark directions at one point. I flubbed up a couple of times but eventually folks heard me just fine. We did a little of everything – burpees, front squats, overhead squats, and a few other things.
After that we divided up into teams of 2.
- 40 hanging squat cleans
- 40 weighted sit-ups
- 800m run
- 30 hanging squat cleans
- 50 weighted sit-ups
- 600m run
- 20 hanging squat cleans
- 60 weighted sit-ups
- 400m run
- 10 hanging squat cleans
- 70 weighted sit-ups
- 200m run
- 5 hanging squat cleans
- 80 weighted sit-ups
Yeah… running. I worked with Ev. Mickey worked with AJ. We all scaled.
- Ev did 75# hanging squat cleans
- I did 95# hanging squat cleans
- We both used a 20# med ball for the weighted sit-ups, alternating passing the ball back and forth
- Mickey did 55# hanging squat cleans
- AJ did 45# hanging squat cleans
- Mickey used a 15# plate
- AJ used a 10# plate
So how’d we do?
- Ev & I – 39:03
- Mickey & AJ – 36:36
Many other teams finished much more quickly, but speed wasn’t really the point.
The entertaining part was in the middle of the runs, Isaac came out and ran with me to point out some better mechanics. Launch from the balls of my feet and try not to pound my heels. Run with open hands instead of closed fists. And it did help. I was running a bit better in the second half of the workout.
That said, I found that it was a bit like… my right leg worked great and my left leg was running in concrete. It was interesting. Both shoulders were bugging me from the rest of the workout too, so pumping my arms in any fashion simply wasn’t happened.
I ran about half the workout and walked the rest, but we never stopped moving. Ev was very patient with me. 🙂
Was it a good workout? Sure. 🙂 I just want to improve those running skills so I’m not literally pounding the pavement and killing myself.
Isaac wants me to focus on the little wins, so here are my little wins for this past week:
- Somehow I’m losing my middle. My 36″ shorts are falling off my butt. Time to buy some new pants again. My 34″ jeans are snug but not uncomfortable, so I’ll take it.
- I had a good meeting with Coach Drea this week about working on mobility and running mechanics. And we’ll continue to work on the sleep thing, hopefully finding the perfect supplement to get me sleeping longer than 3-4 hours in a chunk.
- And I felt better running off the balls of my feet than I did with the rest of the running today. I’ll take it.
We’ll hope that this week is a better week on the work front, but continue the work I’ve been doing. One thing at a time. 🙂
Great work everybody today! Hope you all have a great rest of your weekend!